Tuesday, December 10, 2013

You don't know what you have until you lose it.

Just a short 1 and 1/2 months ago my mother left this world.  When I call this post you don't know what you had until you lose it, I am speaking about my mom. I am also speaking about the whole concept of losing what we had.  It may be a close loved one or it could be you lost your favorite Dry Cleaners cause they made you made and you left to go to a competitor.  Bear with me here for a few minutes so you can understand exactly the point I am trying to make. 

I miss my mother beyond measure.  I spent many years fighting with her and some years when we didn't even speak.  Thankfully though before she died our relationship was great. But now that she is gone and I can't make up for lost time?  I can't say how ridiculous the non-speaking times were.  I can't call her and tell her how may day was as I had done each and every day for the last year or two.  I can't ask her opinion on this very important thing going on in my life.  I can't tell her when I don't feel good and want my momma.  I can go on and on talking about all the things I can't do anymore.  I never knew how much I would miss it when it was gone.  I think we take the people important in our life for granted! 

Then I wanted to take it even another step more.  I used to trust my lawn guy to always do the right thing with my lawn.  Then I got greedy.  I thought he was charging too much and I thought the job was not all that good.  I started to think that I could find someone to do a better job at lesser money.  Then he made the mistake of cutting my lawn too short.  That was it, I was done with this lawn guy.  First I thought I would do it myself- what's the big deal right?  So we bought a lawn mower and I tried it myself.  Wow that wasn't so easy.  Then I had my husband show my oldest son to mow.  I thought he was lazy anyway and doing our lawn should be his responsibility.  Well he stunk at it and I was starting to wonder if I did not wrong thing by letting that lawn guy go.  But did I call him back and rehire him?  No! I thought well I will hire someone else and get it done cheaper.  Over the next few months, we went through about 4 different lawn guys.  Most of them wouldn't even show up. 

I then realized that I didn't know what I had until I lost him.  My lawn guy was a great guy.  He never lost his relationship with us and always remained friendly.  I finally said ok get him back.  Not only do I want him to do my own personal lawn but also I want him to all of the lawns for the owners homes we manage. 

To take this even a step further, when I really needed help with something that was a delicate and very important life changing, future success in an other business could depend on it, it was my lawn guy who came through without a hesitation.  He found someone for us to do what we needed done.  I pulled out all the people that I had helped in the past and so and so on and not one of those people came through for me but my lawn guy did.  I did not know what I had until I lost it. I learn a huge lesson from my lawn guy.

I know that to compare the two sounds off but if you think about in our life the times we give up on people, first and foremost our family and then maybe it's your Dry Cleaner who made a mistake or your lawn guy.  Stop and deal with the issue.  Without that person or business, life might not be what we had hoped.  We need not give up on each other.  You have heard the old cliché that business is business, well I say people are people.  Let's try and be more understanding and communicate more with who is in our life and we can avoid a lot of pain.

For Now,
Tammy Rodriguez
http://www.aaarealtyllc.com
http://www.flpaintcontractor.com
http://alwaysclearwater.net

No comments: